Mr Matthew Irvine is a director of RCG, joining the Americas team in 2019 to head up the Vancouver office. He has worked in the wind and solar industry for over 10 years and has lifecycle experience on 12 GW of renewables assets globally.
Mr Irvine is an expert in wind turbine technology, due diligence and business operations, having worked with a leading UK wind developer, global renewable energy consultancy and German wind turbine manufacturer. As Director, he has responsibility for shaping both our Americas and global strategy. He has a proven track record in business growth and in directing large, complex, and multi-disciplinary teams and projects.
Before joining RCG, Mr Irvine managed the Americas advisory services line and Canadian operations for a major renewable energy consultancy, successfully increasing the business unit’s turnover by 30% and diversifying its service offering to include solar and battery storage front end engineering design. With experience spanning wind project development in the UK, wind turbine manufacturing in Germany and global renewable energy consultancy, Mr Irvine has held multiple prominent industry roles and has managed some of the world’s largest renewable energy M&A assignments, including the $750m Rampion offshore wind acquisition, closely advising Canadian multinational energy company, Enbridge Inc. This includes serving as project director on over 50 due diligence assignments for global investors and banks. In addition to technical advisory, he has extensive experience in wind farm development having worked with the UK’s leading wind project developer, and offshore wind turbine manufacturing having been the sales manager for technical inquiries and contract negotiations in relation to a 5 MW hybrid offshore wind turbine platform.
Mr Irvine is qualified in Mechanical Engineering.
- Project Manager for M&A technical due diligence, Latin America
- Project Manager for SunEdison’s acquisition of Renova Energia’s portfolio of renewable energy projects in Brazil. As part of the deal, nine of the developer's wind projects in Bahia, totalling 300 MW were sold, valued at approx. $500 million. SunEdison also acquired Renova's renewable energy pipeline of 2.2GW for $4.2 billion as part of this deal.
- Turbine supply oversight for leading UK wind farm developer
- Representing the wind farm owner (SSE), Mr Irvine held full oversight of the delivery of the Siemens wind turbine package including transport, installation and QA / QC / snagging / reliability run on the 28 MW Slieve Kirk wind farm construction site in Derry, Northern Ireland, before handover to SSE operations.
- Turbine sales agreement negotiator for a leading wind turbine supplier
- On behalf of leading offshore wind turbine supplier, AREVA Wind, Mr Irvine negotiated technical terms for the supply of 31 x 5 MW hybrid wind turbines to an offshore project in Germany.