John Irwin is a Principal based in Calgary, Canada. He has more than a decade of experience working in energy, with experience that ranges from renewables, infrastructure, utilities, and energy exports.
Mr. Irwin is an expert in performing financial due diligence and financial modelling for a myriad of different renewable projects, such as run-of-river hydro, wind, battery and solar. He has extensive knowledge of North American & Global electricity, natural gas and NGL markets with a recent research focus on energy export logistics and hydrogen energy development.
New to the consulting sector, Mr. Irwin has held numerous positions at a leading multi-national energy infrastructure company. There he held numerous positions, primarily in the Corporate Development group. This included building and running the long-term plan forecasting models, doing financial due diligence on prospective and active deals, and general market research to support the corporate strategy team. This research included working on market development for energy exports off the North American west coast. Mr. Irwin was also a leading member for a technology start-up, where he provided specific market and customer support leading to >45% customer and >50% revenue growth. Consultancy assignments have included both performing and leading technical due diligence on transactions, supporting go-to-market strategy development and energy market forecasting.
- Technical due diligence, solar
- Co-led technical due diligence on behalf of an international power project developer evaluating an acquisition to acquire a large solar portfolio in Alberta (total project value >CAD $100MM).
- Go-to-market strategy
- Supported a go-to-market strategy for a major European IPP looking to enter the US offshore wind market, including ISO market analysis, financial model analysis, and risks and opportunities.
- Regulatory analysis, evaluating solar pv suppliers
- Supported a regulatory review of solar pv manufacturers considering the sanctions against Chinese silicon and solar modules for numerous solar development projects globally.