Michael Stephenson is an Associate Director in RCG’s London office. He has substantial experience in the wind industry, both onshore and offshore and has worked across multiple stages of the project life cycle, including research and development, planning, and construction.
Mr Stephenson is a certified project manager with a proven track record of managing real-world projects. He has an in-depth knowledge of multiple facets of onshore and offshore wind, with a unique skill set acquired from experience across multiple stages of project development working both as client and consultant.
Operating across the wind sector, Mr Stephenson has worked for both commercial consultancies as well as major energy utilities. He has experience delivering environmental impact assessments (EIAs) for some of the world’s largest offshore wind farms and a successful track record in delivering buildable and bankable consents. Mr Stephenson also has experience working as owner’s engineer for the construction of onshore wind farms, managing the interfaces between the turbine and balance of plant contractors, and ensuring the successful delivery of the project to time, budget and safely. Mr Stephenson has a deep technical understanding of offshore wind through management of research and development (R&D) studies related to offshore wind technology both desk-based and in the field. He has also utilised this understanding to provide public and private entities with new market intelligence, including helping design their own R&D and innovation programmes to accelerate cost reduction in offshore wind.
Mr Stephenson is qualified in renewable energy, with additional qualifications in project management.
- Offshore wind development support
- A member of the offshore development team for the permitting of the Dogger Bank offshore wind farms; led several work packages in the EIA from chapter production through to examination and defence in hearings.
- Innovation project management
- Project manager for Wakes and Wind Resource and the Foundations working groups as part of the Offshore Wind Accelerator – a world-leading, industry-led innovation and R&D programme set up to reduce the cost of offshore wind.
- Market insights and advice
- Provided advice to burgeoning international offshore wind markets through the delivery of consultancy reports and presentations, including policy recommendations, technology risk and gap analysis and design of programmes to help reduce the costs of offshore wind in these new markets.