Dr Steve Freeman
Dr Steve Freeman is a Director at RCG and a co-founder. He has over 20 years’ of environmental management, development and policy experience in the deployment and commercialization of renewable energy and emerging technologies, globally.
Dr Freeman has held a number of senior management positions within the energy industry and advisory roles for governments and universities internationally. He is an expert in environmental planning, permitting and consent, policy, and commercial deployment strategies for emerging energy technologies.
A results-focused individual with a proven track record in directing complex and multi-disciplinary teams, Dr Freeman’s expertise extends across all renewable energy project stages from inception through to construction, operation and decommissioning. He has undertaken leading roles in the development and environmental management of major infrastructure energy projects, including long-term secondments to bolster the strategic and commercial inputs required to inform senior management teams, investors and CEOs. He has provided technical advisory, due diligence and market entry support to both onshore and offshore ventures. Formerly a regulator, and with a consultancy career in the oil and gas sector, Dr Freeman has served in environment advisory roles for many leading energy firms, globally. This includes support on export cables, energy storage initiatives and interconnectors. Dr Freeman serves as industry representative to the UK government’s Marine Science Co-ordination Committee (MSCC) and chairs the Marine Industry Liaison Group.
Dr Freeman is a marine biologist and practitioner in environmental management. He has held scholarships in Hong Kong and the USA. He has further training in energy law and policy.
- Energy storage review
- Led project to deliver a review of battery storage for a leading insurance firm to examine risks, opportunities, regulatory and policy barriers, globally, with a focus on commercial, market, political and technical considerations for technology deployment.
- Technical advisory on offshore wind master plan
- Led technical work packages on navigation considerations and socioeconomics for siting offshore wind energy areas on behalf of a US state authority. Provided technical advisory support on other environmental constraints and development of appropriate project design envelopes.
- Technical advisory secondment to wave energy technology firm
- Seconded to a wave energy technology firm to provide advisory services on environmental, policy and market requirements for commercialisation of a privately-funded venture, which included being the interface between the design, commercial and procurement teams, as well as an advisor to senior management and co-founders.