Ali Thomas is a Senior Environmental Consultant at RCG and has worked as a Construction Environment Advisor since 2013. She has more than 12 years’ experience in the environment sector, with a broad range of experience honed from working in both the design and construction stages of major infrastructure projects.
Ali specialises in managing environmental compliance during construction on largescale, complex infrastructure projects within multi-disciplinary teams. Her expertise includes risk, stakeholder and consents management. At RCG, Ali will be responsible primarily for assisting in the delivery of our development services workstreams including our site constraints analysis and site finding.
From working in client, consultancy and contractor roles, Ali has experience working across a number of major UK infrastructure projects, varying sectors and has gained exposure to the management of multiple environmental risks and constraints. She has developed a strong ability to appreciate challenges, risk and opportunities from multiple points of view, while maintaining a focus on compliance, cost, time, quality and innovation.
She has led the environmental management during construction of high-profile projects such as HS2 and the A30 highways scheme. Ali has a proven ability to form long lasting professional relationships with key stakeholders (Natural England, Environment Agency, Local Authority), clients and colleagues to achieve excellent environmental performance.
In addition, Ali has managed Environmental Impact Assessments for multiple projects across different planning regimes (DCO, Town and Country Planning, Hybrid Bill). She has also supported the development team for the Atlantic Array offshore windfarm.
Ali is an environmental compliance specialist in construction and is a full member and chartered Environmentalist of the Institute of Environment Management Association. She is qualified in environmental impact assessment, has a WAMITAB Level 4 Certificate in Waste and Resource Management and is a CEEQUAL Assessor and ISO14001 Lead Auditor.
- Management and Co-ordination of Environmental Specialists
- Responsible on the A30 (Chiverton to Carland Cross improvement scheme) for coordination of all environmental technical specialists to deliver scopes of work and relevant site support. Produced scopes of work, supported procurement selection and onboarding process to ensure environmental constraints were managed as per DCO requirements and to programme and budget.
- Stakeholder Engagement
- On both the A30 (Chiverton to Carland Cross improvement scheme) and HS2 Main Works projects responsible for coordinating stakeholder consultation on Construction Environmental Management Plan and DCO deliverables with Local Authority, Environment Agency, Natural England and client.
Led project stakeholder mapping exercise and engagements resultant in the creation of excellent, collaborative relationships with environmental regulators which ensured consents and approvals were obtained to programme.
- Environmental Consents Production, Submission and Compliance
- Led the identification and application of all A30 (Chiverton to Carland Cross improvement scheme) environmental consents including Natural England protection species licences, Environment Agency fisheries, abstraction and discharge consents, Local Authority Land Drainage consents and Section 61s. Responsible for assurance of compliance with consent conditions during construction.
Led management of silt pollution /water management on the A30 (Chiverton to Carland Cross improvement scheme) to prevent occurrence of water pollution incidents during construction.